For as well as this week started, it all came crashing down after the market reacted to Biden’s stimulus plan on Friday. All my gains for the week were wiped out when I repeated several mistakes that I thought I had learned from last year… I guess it’s not too late to make a New Year’s Resolution!
Sell: BBBY @ $20.31
This was the first lot of my BBBY position that I sold off this week. I used a tight trailing stop to ensure I made at least $1.00 per share on this move to lock in some gains in case it fell the next day.
Sell: BBBY @ $22.00
BBBY kept going up throughout the day’s session, closing around $21.50. I put in an aftermarket order for $22 to see if it would sell. I played with the idea of trying to buy them back at $21.50, but ultimately decided against it.
Sell: BBBY Jan 15 $20 Call @ $3.375
Here I sold out 2/3rds of my options to lock in a profit, as I didn’t want to get too greedy. By this time, NIO was continuing to drop and I was really regretting not selling those calls at $10/contract.
Exercised: BBBY Jan 15 $20 Call
Sell: BBBY @ $25.00
Sell: BBBY @ $25.49
Sell: BBBY @ $26.35
I exercised the remainder of my calls and sold them off in batches along with another chunk of my main holding. All these BBBY trades are what saved my week from being a huge loss, as the market did not react well to Biden’s proposed stimulus plan!
Buy: SPY Jan 15 $375 Put @ $1.34
Sell: SPY Jan 15 $375 Put @ $0.50
Sell: NIO Jan 15 $55 Call @ $2.50
Sell: CLX Jan 15 $200 Put @ $2.00
Why oh why do I keep trying to short the SPY? This cute play I tried to make wiped out most of my gains for the week. CLX spiked on Friday as well and turned that into a loss and NIO continued its fall, adding to the pain. I decided to re-coup as much as I could from these losing moves and put it into something that had a better chance of making money.
Buy: BAC Jan 29 $33 Call @ $0.95
After seeing the earnings that JPM put out, I decided to buy more of these calls on the anticipation of a post earnings run. Dan and I are both heavily into these calls, so next Tuesday will be a big day for both of us!
|Ticker||Buy Price||Current Price|
|SPCE Apr 16 $30 Call||$5.50||$6.32|
|CRM Mar 19 $250 Call||$9.60*||$3.25|
|BAC Jan 29 $33 Call||$1.05*||$0.94|
*SAP, BBBY, SPCE, BAC and CRM Calls buy price averaged over two purchases
|Ticker||Buy Price||Sell Price|
|JMIA Jan 15 $50 Call||$4.65||Expired|
|BBBY Jan 15 $20 Call||$1.75||$3.37|
|BBBY (exercised and sold)||$21.75||$25.24|
|NIO Jan 15 $55 Call||$4.50||$2.50|
|CLX Jan 15 $200 Put||$7.70||$2.00|
|SPY Jan 15 $375 Put||$1.34||$0.50|
Weekly Gain (Realized):
|Date||My Gains||SPY Gains|
More Like This
- Organigram levels up!After Organigram announces a new partnership, Dan takes a closer look at OGI and what that means for both companies going forward.
- OCGN: Experimenting with Covered CallsKyle shares his experiences trading covered calls in Ocugen, Inc. (OCGN) over the last two weeks. But will there be profits?
- 3 Bounce Back Stock Candidates Post Earnings DipWe look at three stocks that have to potential to bounce next week after their stocks fell post earnings.
- Weekly Trade Log: 02/08/21After watching GME sink like a rock, I had to step away from the markets for a bit and figure out a plan to recover.
- Weekly Trade Log: 2/01/21With the Mother of all Short Squeezes on the precipice of being Squoze, I realized some very large gains on the week
- Weekly Trade Log: 01/25/21Two savvy moves in particular erase a bad bet from the previous week and take me back into the green for the year
- Weekly Trade Log: 01/18/21Big gains from BBBY are negated when I repeat several money losing mistakes this week. When will I learn?
- Weekly Trade Log: 01/11/21The trade log is back after taking a break over the holidays. Now we finally get to see how I finished the year against the SPY!
- Weekly Trade Log: 12/21My first realized loss in a while, thanks to some emotional options trading on SPCE. An expensive lesson learned!
- Weekly Trade Log: 12/14Stimulus gridlock and a failed test flight from Virgin Galactic on Saturday are setting the stage for a rough week coming up