Second Look At Semiconductors
On November 11th, 2020 I did a write-up about the Semiconductor Industry segment showing a lot of companies at their 52-week highs. Writing this follow-up 3 weeks later, there are now 17 semiconductor companies now trading new 52 week highs. Take a look.
|Symbol||Company Name||Current Price||Days Of New High|
|ADI||Analog Devices, Inc.||140.66||2|
|AMAT||Applied Materials, Inc.||85.29||2|
|ASML||ASML Holding NV (ADR)||451||3|
|LRCX||Lam Research Corporation||479.22||4|
|LSCC||Lattice Semiconductor Corp||42.22||2|
|MCHP||Microchip Technology Inc.||137.38||2|
|MU||Micron Technology, Inc.||69.11||2|
|MXIM||Maxim Integrated Products Inc.||84.22||2|
|STM||STMicroelectronics NV (ADR)||40.65||8|
|UCTT||Ultra Clean Holdings Inc||33.4||3|
The PHLX Semiconductor index is a group of 30 companies whose combined value is tracked using the stock ticker SOX. All of these companies on the index are semiconductor companies in at least one component such as designing, building, distributing, or selling. When we look back at the value of semiconductors from November 11th when the first article came out we can see SOX closed the day at $2,511.24.
It’s been 3 weeks, as I type this it’s December 12th and SOX closed at $2,716.35. That means the Semiconductor industry has just gone up 8.16% in three weeks. If you look at a leveraged fund the gains are even higher. USD is up 14.64% and SOXL is up a fantastic 25.93%! I love a leveraged ETF! Though to be fair, ETFs fall with the same multiplier they rise.
How long can this Industry Segment keep growing? I don’t know, but the use of semiconductors in computers tells me that the market is only growing as the number of computers in our lives grows. From smartphones to internet-wired appliances to the touchscreens in electric vehicles, Semiconductors have a vast reach around the world. How high can the valuation of this segment go?
For more info on the PHLX Average, go to
More Like This
- Reviewing Stocks to Watch: The Taper Rate Is Transitory…Looking back at the stocks we were watching 4 weeks ago and seeing how we did. Watchlist: CVS, F, COF, TSM and AQST.
- Reviewing Stocks to Watch: “We’ll Have What the House is Buying”Looking back at the stocks we were watching 4 weeks ago and seeing how we did. Watchlist: TSLA, JNJ, DE, PLTR and LYV.
- Reviewing Stocks to Watch: ‘Say “Transitory” One More Time… We Dare You…’Looking back at the stocks we were watching 4 weeks ago and seeing how we did. Watchlist: Z, PTON, V, FTV and TGT
- Reviewing Stocks to Watch: Tuesdays with LeesonLooking back at the stocks we were watching 4 weeks ago and seeing how we did. Watchlist: TSLA, AMZN, DWAC and NKE
- Reviewing Stocks to Watch: “Our Bet Picks are Mediocre and Christmas in October??”Looking back at the stocks we were watching 4 weeks ago and seeing how we did. Watchlist: AAPL, SPCE, FAST, EBAY, MSFT and BP.
- Reviewing Stocks to Watch: Oil Pops & New Crypto CopsLooking back at the stocks we were watching 4 weeks ago and seeing how we did. Watchlist: FB, CCXI, UNP, GE, and K.
- Organigram levels up!After Organigram announces a new partnership, Dan takes a closer look at OGI and what that means for both companies going forward.
- OCGN: Experimenting with Covered CallsKyle shares his experiences trading covered calls in Ocugen, Inc. (OCGN) over the last two weeks. But will there be profits?
- 3 Bounce Back Stock Candidates Post Earnings DipWe look at three stocks that have to potential to bounce next week after their stocks fell post earnings.
- Semiconductors on the Rise?Dan identifies a hot sector by looking at 52 week highs over the past week. Check out which ones are riding high!